It took me a while to understand Salvation as a process. Growing up, I went for the salvation altar call many times, especially when doubt would sink in and threaten my peace.
I’d feel joy flooding in after accepting Jesus into my heart but a few days later, I’d find myself repeating the same mistakes I’d cried about.
My heart wasn’t changing. Even as a born again christian, I went back to doing the same thing I’d cried about.
I didn’t understand this whole salvation thing. I’d been told accepting Jesus into my life would make me a brand new person.
But I wasn’t changing within. Was there something wrong with me?
Maybe I was missing it and would go to hell. So I lived in fear of hell for many years until I started learning about God.
For years I was clueless on how to please God and tried to do so based on my own understanding and definition of things, not God’s definition.
I tried coming with a kind of righteousness of my own when I only had to sit still and let Jesus have his way.
I read the bible erroneously in the past and I couldn’t discern my soul from my spirit.
This made me believe I was bound for hell since I still battled ungodly thoughts and my heart was not pure.
The Process of Salvation begins at New-birth
And how do we know we are saved? I explained this at the beginning of the hearing God series.
You heard the gospel, believed in your heart and confessed with your mouth.
That was ALL it took for your spirit to be saved.
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.Romans 10:9
Your piercings, extensions, make-up and many other external factors CANNOT ADD or remove from your salvation.
Just say the word and the Holy-Spirit’s coming right into you!
God did not save you because you were perfect.
He saved you to make you perfect like Jesus. So you DID NOTHING.
You didn’t work for it. You didn’t deserve it. But He gave it to you anyway. He made you qualified for heaven.
You’re a citizen of Heaven! Just like that. Hallelujah!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,ephesians 2:8
Soul Salvation is a continuous process
So while your spirit is saved, the part of you that resists the HolySpirit is your Soul. And your heart resides in your soul.
God has saved your spirit, so you need to keep following Jesus until your soul is saved and your heart accurately reflects His
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is ABLE TO SAVE YOUR SOULS.1timothy2:4
So we must live from the victory Jesus won for us by taking up His new life. This happens through obedience to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, WORK OUT your own salvation with fear and trembling;Philippians 2:12
God’s will remains the same
God is the same yesterday, today and forever-Hebrews 13:8.
So it would be wrong to dismiss the God of the Old Testament when He’s the same always.
Jesus came to show us a clearer picture of God.
The Old testament is a shadow of the New testament. God saved us from the world but we need to go through the wilderness before we can enter the Land filled with Milk and Honey.
It’s unfortunate that not all who were saved from Egypt got to the Promised Land.
God was willing to save them to the uttermost; because His reason for saving them in the first place was to inherit the Land (God himself) Ezekiel 44:28
But some got sidetracked grumbling and lusting for Egypt. Some didn’t make it to the End.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same SHALL BE SAVED.Matthew 24:13
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.Revelations 3:21
God is Love but His love is based on his standard, not ours. As a Good shepherd, he knows what’s best for the sheep.
Understand that the New Testament is based on three themes.
- We are saved (Spirit Salvation) John 3:16, Romans 10:9
- We ARE BEING saved (Soul Salvation)-Galatians 4:19, 1John 3:14, 1 Peter 1:9, James 1:21
- We WILL BE saved (Body Salvation which is dependent on the Soul)-2Cor4:11
When reading the bible, it’s easy to presume it all starts and ends with the Newbirth experience.
But if this were so, the bible would be contradicting itself and we would be deceiving ourselves.
So you may be a heavenly citizen, but you need to fulfill PURPOSE which is to have Christ formed in you.
Salvation is similar to gaining admission into the university. But you need to graduate from the school to be a certified professional.
Receiving the END of your faith, EVEN the salvation of your SOULS1peter1:9-11
For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit REAP ETERNAL LIFEGALATIANS 6:8
If we had eternal life already, we would not struggle with lying, envy, bitterness, anger and many other sinful traits in our souls.
Scriptures worth reading
- Why does scripture admonish believers against sin (1John 1:8), about repentance (1Cor5:1-2) and hell? (Matthew 5:30, 1Cor 5:5)
- If we were perfect already, why are we admonished not to grieve and quench the Holy-Spirit? (Ephesians 4:30, 1Thess 5:19)
- Why bother obeying God and pleasing him if it starts and ends with getting born again? (James 1:21, 1Peter1:9-12)
- Why are we told to run our race, fight the good fight of faith, look for and lay hold on Eternal life if we have Eternal life already? (Hebrews 12:1-3, 1Corinthians 9:26, 2Timothy 4:7-8, Jude 1:21)
- Believers are admonished to pro-actively seek out the narrow path and avoid the broad way (Matthew 7:14).
- The bible warns that those Christians who keep practicing unrighteousness won’t inherit the Kingdom (Galatians 5:21)
- The sexual immoral man was called evil when some chapters ago, the same Apostle Paul declared all Christians were Saints (1Cor5:13)
- Paul called himself a Sinner in present tense after declaring we were the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (1Timothy 1:15)
- According to scriptures, the Roman church were told their salvation drew nearer than they FIRST believed. I thought they were saved already. Does this mean there’s another believing we must come into? Romans 13:11
Compare spiritual with spiritual
We need to balance scripture with scripture or we will err.
The New Testament was written to believers, not unbelievers.
It was written to show us our state before Christ, our present reality and what we must do to abide in God’s will.
So while we thank God for saving our spirit, we need to arm our minds for the journey ahead till our soul is also saved.
Some parts of the bible declares we have eternal life already but we need to understand the factors surrounding that claim.
- The Spirit of Man was saved at New-birth (The moment we believed Jesus died for our sins and was raised for our justification)
- Some churches were already coming into eternal life (knowing God)-1John 5:13. And this could be seen in the manner of conversation Apostle John was having with them.
- In Apostle John’s letter, he was addressing different Spiritual states of men. Fathers, children and young men. It is safe to believe the young men had grown spiritually to know God and overcome the wicked one.
When we compare this church with other churches the apostles had written to in the past, there’s a difference.
We need to understand that our soul salvation is as important as the Newbirth and without this, we cannot fulfil destiny.
You can read my other salvation posts below
Bloom with Love. Xx!