Growing up, I went for the salvation altar call many times, especially when doubt would sink in and threaten my peace.
I would cry my eyes out, say the sinners prayer and promise not to sin again. But a few days after, I would discover a terrifying truth.
My heart wasn’t changing. Even as a born again christian. I went back to doing the same thing I’d cried about.
I couldn’t understand this whole salvation thing. I’d been told accepting Jesus into my life would make me a brand new person.
But I wasn’t changing within. Was there something wrong with me?
Maybe I was missing it and would go to hell. I lived in fear of hell for many years. It didn’t help that many people kept conjuring up dreams and visions of seeing believers in hell.
While I have no doubts that there is a hell, even the bible clearly declares this fact, I was clueless of my role as a believer.
As believers we aren’t supposed to live in fear of Hell! Jesus came to save us from that fear.
Our goal is to please God.
But due to my ignorance, I kept struggling thinking one wrong step and down into hell I would go.
I felt God was just looking for an opportunity to throw me in because I would keep messing up.
I was clueless and struggled for years as I tried to do things that I thought would please God. This pleasing was based on my own understanding and definition of things, not God’s definition.
I kept trying to conjure a kind of righteousness of my own when I only had to sit still and let Jesus have his way.
It took me a while to fathom what Jesus REALLY did for me and the difference between my soul, spirit and body.
I read the bible erroneously in the past and I couldn’t discern my soul from my spirit.
This made me believe I was bound for hell since I still battled ungodly thoughts and my heart was not pure.
But I’m grateful Jesus didn’t give up on me.
So what really is Salvation? And how do we know we are saved? I explained this at the beginning of the hearing God series.
You heard the gospel, believed in your heart and confessed with your mouth.
That’s ALL you need to do for your spirit to be saved.
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.romans 10:9
Nothing more or less.
Your piercings, extensions, make-up and many other external factors CANNOT ADD or remove from your salvation.
Just say the word and the Holy-Spirit’s coming right into you!
God did not save you because you were perfect.
He saved you to make you perfect. Like Jesus. So you DID NOTHING. You didn’t work for it. You didn’t deserve it. But He gave it to you anyway. He made you qualified for heaven.
You’re a citizen of Heaven! Just like that. No hassle. Hallelujah!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,ephesians 2:8
What happened at the Newbirth is/was the beginning of Salvation
So while your spirit is saved, the part of you that still enjoys sin is your soul.
The one that rebels against the HolySpirit is your Soul. And your heart resides in your soul.
God has saved your spirit, so you need to keep following Jesus until your soul is saved.
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is ABLE TO SAVE YOUR SOULS.james . 1:21
God’s will is that ALL men be saved and come to the knowledge of Truth.1timothy2:4
Salvation and Knowledge of truth are tied together.
From Genesis to Revelation, Salvation is painted everywhere.
We see Moses saving the Israelites from Egypt to Noah building the Ark (Christ).
So God’s will never changed from the Old Testament to the New Testament.
He’s the same yesterday, today and forever-Hebrews 13:8
Jesus came to show us a clearer picture of God.
God saved us from the world (Egypt) but we need to go through the wilderness before we can enter the Land filled with Milk and Honey.
It’s unfortunate that not all who were saved from Egypt got to the Promised Land.
God was willing to save them to the uttermost; because His reason for saving them in the first place was to inherit the Land (God himself) Ezekiel 44:28
But some got sidetracked grumbling and lusting for Egypt. Some didn’t make it to the End.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same SHALL BE SAVED.matthew 24:13
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.revelations 3:21
While we have extreme doctrines ranging from Once saved, forever Saved to Lie and Go to hell, we need to balance God’s love and mercy with his chastisement.
God is Love.
But as a good father, he wouldn’t condone his children living careless lives.
The New Testament is based on three themes.
- You are saved (Spirit Salvation) John 3:16, Romans 10:9
- You ARE BEING saved (Soul Salvation)-Galatians 4:19, 1John 3:14, 1 Peter 1:3, James 1:21
- You WILL BE saved (Body Salvation which is dependent on the Soul)-2Cor4:11
When reading the bible, it’s easy to presume it all starts and ends with the Newbirth experience.
But if this were so, the bible would be contradicting itself and we would be deceiving ourselves.
So you may be a heavenly citizen, but you need to fulfill PURPOSE>=
You have been destined to have Christ formed in you.
Salvation is similar to gaining admission into the university. But you need to graduate from the school to be a certified professional.
Receiving the END of your faith, EVEN the salvation of your SOULS1peter1:9-11
For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit REAP ETERNAL LIFEGALATIANS 6:8
If we had eternal life already, we would not struggle with lying, envy, bitterness, anger and many other sinful traits in our souls.
We wouldn’t need the bible because we would have figured out how to live sinless on our own.
Scriptures worth reading
- Why does scripture admonish believers against sin (1John 1:8), about repentance (1Cor5:1-2) and hell? (Matthew 5:30, 1Cor 5:5)
- If we were perfect already, why are we admonished not to grieve and quench the Holy-Spirit? (Ephesians 4:30, 1Thess 5:19)
- Why bother obeying God and pleasing him if it starts and ends with getting born again? (James 1:21, 1Peter1:9-12)
- Why are we told to run our race, fight the good fight of faith, look for and lay hold on Eternal life if we have Eternal life already? (Hebrews 12:1-3, 1Cor9:26, 2Timothy 4:7-8, Jude 1:21)
- Why are believers admonished to pro-actively seek out the narrow path and avoid the broad way? (Matthew 7:14).
- Why does the bible warn that those Christians who keep practicing unrighteousness won’t inherit the Kingdom? (Galatians 5:21)
- Why call the sexual immoral man evil when some chapters ago, the same Paul declared all Christians were Saints? (1Cor5:13)
- Why on earth would Paul call himself a Sinner in present tense after declaring we were the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus? (1Timothy 1:15)
- Why were the Roman church told their salvation kept drawing nearer than they FIRST believed? I thought they were saved already? Does this mean there’s another believing we must come into? Romans 13:11
Compare spiritual with spiritual
We need to balance scripture with scripture or we will err. The New Testament was written to believers, not unbelievers.
It was written to show us our state before Christ, our present reality and what we must do to abide in God’s will.
So while we thank God for saving our spirit, we need to arm our minds for the journey ahead till our soul is also saved.
While I understand that some parts of the bible declares we have eternal life already, we need to understand the factors surrounding that claim.
- Our spirits are saved so we have eternal life in our spirits.
- Some churches were already coming into eternal life (knowing God)-1John 5:13. And this could be seen in the manner of conversation Apostle John was having with them.
When compared with other churches, there’s a difference.
We need to understand that our soul salvation is as important as the Newbirth and without this, we cannot fulfil destiny.
More to come on the Salvation Series. Until next time.
Bloom with Love. Xx!